Thursday, March 12, 2009

Daddy (P.S.)


From my brother Les: "The insoluble math problem you mentioned involved trisecting an angle, which, as I learned in school, is impossible to do mathematically and prove you've done it. Dad invented a relatively simple device which worked, and the result of which could be proved algebraically. I have the blueprints he made up, and actually sent a copy to a friend who is a copyright attorney and has a doctorate in physics and one in law. Dad said he never tried to patent his device because he thought there was no practical use for it, but my attorney friend said he was pretty sure it was patentable. I think every mathematician in the world would be interested in such a device, if only for classroom demonstrations, but never followed through on pursuing a patent."

(Photograph is Dukie with Daddy, April, 1914, Sturgis, Kentucky)

No comments: