Wednesday, February 11, 2009

What Happened?


No recording, photographs or videos were made at my Mozart concerto performance Saturday, whether by oversight or  budget restrictions I don't know and don't really much care. We are left with only my perception and the audience's impression of what happened.

Since the audience contained mostly friends and supporters, the perception was positive from their point of view. From mine, it was a relief to get through 52 pages of piano music without major mishap, especially since my left arm was killing me. It was a privilege to perform Mozart with the orchestra and to compose cadenzas (the free passages) which let me say some stuff I wanted to say.

The ancient Greeks usually took a poet with them into battle so that after everything settled down, they could find out what happened. Heinlein's Stranger in a Strange Land had its Fair Witnesses for the same reason. We had neither at the concert, only people who wanted to support the community orchestra or liked Mozart's "Elvira Madigan" concerto or wanted to encourage me.

So we can remember it any way we want to. Here's a picture of me in my thrift-shop dress and eBay jewelry, taken right before we left for the hall. Deer in the Headlights.

7 comments:

Carmen said...

what a bummer! Viva la thrift shops! I am sure you played beautifully!

M. L. Benedict said...

I may have smelled like mothballs.

maikib said...

you look beautiful! :)

M. L. Benedict said...

Thank you, dear Maikib!

alohab said...

I agree, you always look beautiful!

Unknown said...

DeAr in the headlights, you mean. To many of us, at least.

You did play beautifully. And you looked great too.

Joe would be very happy to videotape any concert you give him notice of. As Claudine will attest, he's not always prompt in producing the DVDs, but he gets them done eventually.

-- Emily

M. L. Benedict said...

Thank you, DEar Emily. I was relieved in a way that there was no recording, but now I wish I could hear it. Maybe I'll tape it with the practice CD, which just has the orchestra part.