Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Poem

Camille asked me to post some poetry, already, so here is one from a 2005 unpublished collection called Marie of Rumania, subtitled Poems of Love and War.


Liturgy at Sea

I am cast adrift in this small boat.
O for an anchor or the sight of land.
The wind drowns my cries.
A bird far from shore
keeps to his way.

There is comfort in ritual, at least.
As night fades to day, then,
let us welcome the light.
We will always do this in the same way;
the gesture is harmless.
No evil can come from it.

Amid chaos, perhaps we can create
order in some small way.
Here is a rope; let me coil it.
With cupped hands, bail water
without thinking how small the vessel.

Casting thought about,
I find no way to save myself,
swimming with no shore in sight,
signaling to nobody,
but I am grateful for the calm,
for the time, for the humble boat,
for the temperate weather.

I cannot avoid hoping.
Hope is a kind of anchor
to replace the one I lost,
so I watch and wait
and hope says help may appear.

Hunger and thirst make their demands
but the eyes are feasting.
The wave crests reflect a glory
the departing sun has painted
and in its setting I know now
which way is West.

In the night, the boat rocks
like a cradle. I am cold,
but not afraid. I remember
the lullaby she sang.
I see her face in the moon
when the clouds pass.

When day breaks, I sing
the lullaby to the morning breeze
and do my welcoming ritual.
I am grateful for the sun's warmth.

I cannot keep talking to myself.
Something in the smell of sea spray
reminded me of incense.
I could pray, I thought,
but the only prayers I know
are Please, Thank You, and
Lord Have Mercy.

So I say these words
over and over until I feel
the companionable mist all around
and the sturdy rocking water
supporting the little boat
and the current which knows its way.
For a while, at least,
I am not cast adrift, but rather surrounded
above, below, about,
as if I were held in a giant hand.


4 comments:

Carmen said...

I am so happy you posted a poem.

I had to step away from the computer to compose myself after reading it.

Thank you

M. L. Benedict said...

No, I thank YOU.

Colleen Franklin said...

Hi, I'm a friend of Camille's, and I want to add my thanks for sharing this poem. Is it alright if I read it to the poetry group of which I am a part?

M. L. Benedict said...

Absolutely. I would be honored, Rosa. I love your blog.